Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Miniature Benchwork

In preparation for building the framework for my next layout, the Pine Branch Park, I decided to try something I'd read about before; building a model of the model.  I enlarged my plan to a scale of 1/8 inch equals 1 inch, or 1-1/2 inch equals a foot.  This allowed me to cut thin strips to represent 1 inch wide material that I could handle without much trouble.  The overall size of the model at this scale works out to 6 inches by 9 inches, keeping the whole thing within a regular sheet of card stock.

Here's what I came up with:


Glamorous, ain't it?  Okay, so maybe it won't win any awards but it has served a very important function.  It showed me a few pitfalls and mistakes I might have made - these are easier to correct and far cheaper in card stock than plywood.  For instance, I want 1 inch flanges on the outer sides and 2 inch flanges on the inner members.  It was also fun to see flat sheets of card become a surprisingly strong framework.  The card stock is glued with Titebond II wood glue.

I will be using 1/4 inch plywood for the actual framework as well as the top.  I hope that by using girder construction for the frame I can avoid the eventual warping that comes from dimensional lumber exposed to temperature and moisture changes, as well as produce a light and strong frame that can be easily handled.  While I won't be moving this railroad as much as I would a portable module, I will be moving it eventually and early in the construction phase may be tipping it on its side to do wiring and turnout control work from the underside.


2 comments:

  1. Galen,
    I think that if you use some good varnish or lacquer like you would use to finish an exterior wood door on all sides of the plywood after they are cut, but before assembly, you will seal the wood and greatly reduce any chance of warpage.
    Russ Bellinis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Russ! I painted all the benchwork with Kilz Primer, hoping that will have the same effect. I've got some spar Urethane, but man that stuff is strong. I have to wear a respirator to use it otherwise I get a bad headache. Next benchwork I build I will consider lacquer or varnish.

    Thanks!

    Galen

    ReplyDelete