Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Questions Answered - Model Railroad Research

I really enjoy model railroad research.  Note I didn't say prototype research - that's a related discipline that often overlaps, but it isn't quite the same.  Sometimes you can't find any prototype information, or the book that might contain that nugget you seek isn't in your library or is too darn expensive.  That's when turning to the previous versions of the model might help.  It is also fun to look into the history of the hobby.

When I was in seminary I learned about researching textual variants in ancient fragments of scripture.  Usually you went with the oldest known text, whether it was a papyrus fragment or potsherd inscription.  But often you'd find a greater weight of evidence in say, vellum copies.  Though the papyrus may be older, it may not carry the same authority because there are so many copies of the variant text.  Which do you choose as the basis for translation?

So too with model railroad freight cars.  When a manufacturer, long out of business, produced a freezer* ages ago and advertised they used the car builders diagrams, then that's a pretty good source.  But when another manufacturer makes a copy and varies the details, like using a different color scheme or using a different roof type, and they produce thousands of them, which then get copied by other manufacturers, what do you do?  With no actual prototype data available, which source do you trust to build your version of that freezer?

It is possible the second manufacturer chose to change the model based on their available dies for casting parts rather than incur the cost of making new ones.  Maybe they changed the color scheme to make it less gaudy in the hopes it might sell better.  Or maybe they didn't have much prototype data either!

Re-kitted freezer ready to rebuild.

For the two Comet freezers I'm building as of the writing of this post, I needed to know more before I could add better details.  What type of underframe?  Likely fishbelly.  Ladders or grabs?  Ladders. Et Cetera.  For the MDT car I had good prototype photos thanks to Eric Hansmann and other like-minded researchers.  But the Baby Ruth car?  Only one colorized image - the cover of Hendrickson's Billboard Refrigerator Cars book.  Ends, sides, ladders, underframe all visible in that image.  But what about the roof?  The hatches?

Here's where the kit helps out.  My car came to me already built - thankfully not too damaged and assembled well enough - but the original would have contained hints for the roof on the card from which you punched out the sides and ends (and hatches).  Enter eBay.  A quick search of previously sold items turned up an image that helped.

Read the fine print.  Use magnification if necessary.

Right there on the carrier sheet it says, "NO ROOF RIBS    RED SIDE LADDERS".  This note was obviously missed by many modelers who decided to put ribs up there anyway, as evinced by other eBay searches for this car, even the one I'm rebuilding.  But no matter.  In this great hobby we all get to make creative choices that suit our fancy and build models to our heart's content.

*I use the term freezer instead of the more common reefer for a couple reasons - for a while in the early days of this hobby it was the term de rigueur, like saying pike instead of layout.  But in my current NorCal context "reefer" also has a meaning that I don't care to reference.  I know, most readers of this blog know the difference; I just prefer "freezer", in the same way some men like to wear vests.

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting bit of research, using information on the carrier. I suspect these type of models build up better than we're commonly lead to believe, but I suspect it takes extra effort - like you're putting in - to get that better result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I considered trying to upgrade this kit using only parts that would have been available to a person in the 40s & 50s, but decided to just use what I had on hand that was close enough. I may do another post when these cars are finished that gives a run-down on what I added & replaced. Careful construction will get you so far, but I agree, extra effort pays off; even a little can make a big difference. For example, I just glued a piece of thin paper to the roof of the MDT car to hide the obvious wood grain. That's the sort of step that doesn't add much time or cost much but instantly elevates the kit by changing the texture.

      BTW, the first mention of the Baby Ruth refrigerator car is in the MR trade topics product announcement from March 1940. I don't think mine is quite that old, but it might be. 80 years young!

      Delete
    2. I had an uncle on my mother's side of the family that I think dabbled in model trains in the late '40s or early '50s. I have a card-based passenger car that he tried to build and there might be parts from an old kit somewhere in the family history stash. Your series has got me curious about these sorts of kits.

      Delete