Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sub-Roadbed for Streets, Ditches and More

I decided to use cork sheets for the base of the streets in Ocala Springs, aka Pine Branch Park.  The wider road uses 3/16" thick material while the narrower road uses 1/8".  Note the cork is cut wider than the road surface to include the sidewalks, shown here in their raw, gray resin state.  These are herringbone station platforms from Frenchman River which I will cut and modify as needed.

Speaking of station platforms, I will also be using a herringbone brick pattern there but this one is laser-cut material by RS Laser Kits.  The base under the station platform and parking area is 1/4" cork and will be slightly sanded and shaped before the area is scenicked more fully.  The plan for this and the streets in general is to use spackle, though that may change as I consider other options.  There's more to be done before that step.


That gouged-out mess in the second photo is going to be a drainage ditch.  Drainage is THE most important element of track laying on the prototype.  Here I used a Dremel with a cutter attachment to rout away the press-board sub-roadbed surface.  Once contoured and scenicked it will not be so ragged.  Pipes will be used at the track to convey the water away.  Not sure yet what kind of pipe I'll use.

I also painted the track using Espresso - not the coffee, the paint color by Rustoleum.  I like their UltraCover Paint + Primer.  It claims to cover wood, metal, plastic and more; ideal for track.  The finish should be 'Satin', but appears glossier than that to my eye.  That's okay, as it will be dulled down with further color applications.  Ties will be painted with various shades of brown and gray, then washed and dry-brushed, before rail and tie plates receive a coat of rust color and grime.  I may take one section all the way through ballasting to see how it looks.  We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! Yes, the satin finish looks a little glossy to me too, but maybe it's just the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lighting certainly does amplify the shine, but not by much. I've begun coloring ties and applying a dark ink wash which is made with matte medium and that has helped. Dry brushing and ballasting should take care of the rest. If not, there's always Dullcote.

      Delete