Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2018

Green Steam II

What happens when you strip the Southern Green paint off an IHC Mogul?  You find green plastic underneath that green paint!








Notice the silver smokebox and firebox paint didn't come off completely.  I may have been able to get more to release had I soaked it longer.  What you see here is the result of a couple hours in 91% rubbing alcohol.  I finished removing the silver with a scraper.  The only other green plastic is the cylinders and saddle, not shown here.  The rest - basically the frame - is molded in black plastic, and was unpainted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if the silver is a 'chrome' plating often found on plastic models of automobiles, but if so, I've found Castrol SuperClean effective at removing it. The part needs to soak in it. For how long depends on the plating. It could be anywhere from a few minutes to a day or so, but even if I left the part in too long, there didn't appear to be any adverse effect on the plastic. SuperClean needs to be handled with care and gloves are needed.

    ReplyDelete