Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Design Intuition

Something just didn't feel right about the eaves of the Fallburgh, er, Pine Branch Park station.  I decided it might need a strip of trim along the joint where the wall meets the overhang.  After a bit of searching I discovered my intuition was correct.  Where board and batten siding meets the roof, on Victorian-era structures, there is indeed a simple trim board, most of the time.

The fancy filagree gets the attention out along the edge of the roof and this kit allows for that with some fine little castings.  But where it is deficient is, interestingly enough, in a rather obvious place.  Or, perhaps, not so obvious.  Maybe that's why it wasn't included, as the designers felt it wouldn't be seen and so decided to save stripwood and the modeler's time by leaving it out.  The definitive, authoritative source (Fallberg's collection of Fiddletown & Copperopolis drawings) shows the station in several scenes but sadly, all portray the structural element in question in deep shadow.  No doubt he'd have drawn it in if it had been necessary, as his attention to architectural detail is impressive in other places.

In these images below the trim is far from complete but enough is in to show the obvious difference.


3 comments:

  1. Your model is coming along quite well!

    Here's another possible data point. E.L.Moore also used Fallburgh's "prototype" for his Elizabethton depot: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2015/09/e-l-moores-elizabethton-depot.html . Unfortunately my posted pictures also have the area you're interested in in deep shadow. Tonight I'll go through all my photos to see if I can find a shot of that detail and I'll try a little enhancement to lessen the shadows. If I find something, I'll post it.

    BTW, what's in the orange box in the background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assorted detail parts for possible use in this structure. It is the box from the Silver Streak (Walthers) Double Sheathed Truss Rod box car kit that became the first Ocali Creek house car. I don't usually toss these old kit boxes, preferring instead to re-purpose them.

      Delete
  2. I found a couple of photos: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2019/06/wall-roof-joint-trim-on-elizabethton.html

    Turns out ELM didn't use trim on that joint.

    ReplyDelete