Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2020

Surprise Brass!

Recently my wife handed me a plaque she had long ago received and no longer needed.  I gleefully accepted, knowing that from this expired token of appreciation would arise...a diorama base!  The surprise came when I found the decorative facing was a rather thick sheet of brass.  Score.  The base is solid wood, not pressboard, and the usable surface is 8-1/4" by 11-1/4".  The brass is a little smaller and will likely be used for weight or who knows what. 

I pried the brass away from the wood with my favorite 5 in 1 tool, then used Goof Off to remove the double-stick tape and residue that had been used to adhere the brass to the wood.  Note the respirator.  I also wore nitrile gloves and disposed of the paper towels I used in a plastic bag where the vapors would be contained.  After drying, a sanding block cleaned from the surfaces what residue remained.  Now I have to decide what scene I will create on the base...someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment