Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2020

A Happy Accident

This accident became happy when it revealed what was once hidden.  On November 17, 1956, John L. Oliver buttoned up this box car.  I know this because he wrote the date on the inside of the car.

I purchased this car last year on eBay and was disappointed to find it in pieces when I received it.  The shipper did a fine job of packing it, so I suspect the postal service was a bit too reckless in their handling.  In the end it will be fine as I can reassemble the car, and, of course, it worked out for the best to reveal the maker's mark within.
Here is the outside of the car, custom painted and lettered by Mr. Oliver for his Pan-Handle Rusty Route railroad.  I can say with near certainty that he himself painted and lettered the car, as his solitary claim to fame in Model Railroader magazine was an article on painting and lettering Steam Locomotives (of which I have one, 2-8-0 #225 mentioned in a previous post).  Note the hand-made box with typed label and address stamp.
Of particular interest beyond the car's birthday was the metal weight from inside the car.  It appears to be some sort of typesetting for a stamp or document press.
And here is what it reads, after 'inking' the stamp with a Sharpie pen:
I have three other Oliver cars, an express reefer for the P-HRR, and two cabeese.  A fourth car also came from that collection and was shown in my custom Christmas coal train post, but I'm not sure if Oliver built it or if it was given to him by Earl Benteller, for whose Allegheny Railroad it is lettered.

One way I enjoy this hobby is by continuing the legacy of these pioneer modelers through preservation of their equipment, and, if possible, keeping it rolling in revenue service.  Someday the Ocali Creek shops will get this car rebuilt and back on the rails...but they've got a mighty long backlog of kits, er, projects to get to so who can say when that will be.


2 comments:

  1. An amazing find! I love this kind of extra history that adds another dimension to a project. The weight made from type is an especially nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it was. I have two of the cabeese, and one suffered a similar fate. Again it was a happy accident, as the interior is FULLY detailed. I was all ready to close up my cabeese with glue when, well, I'm getting ahead of myself and this really deserves a post of its own.

    ReplyDelete