Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Labor Day Treasure Hunt

I'm catching up on blog posts, since the last few weekends have been pretty eventful and I've not really felt like blogging.  This post isn't model train related, but there is a model, of sorts included. 

Labor Day weekend my family and I traveled over to Fort Bragg to visit the flea market - a really neat market with real fleas (no commercial sales or miracle products, but antiques, handmade jewelry, old tools, etc.).  I was hunting for a box in which to build a micro layout, but alas, one was not to be found.

After lunch we went looking for a beach.  The boys and I came ready to get in the water - the boys by choice and me by necessity, but only if necessary.  That water is cold.  My wife sat under her new sun hat and didn't tan (she doesn't, as a rule).  I got to use an old friend and its new cousin; my metal detector and pinpointer. 

Here's my haul:
The coins are 2003 and 2005 pennies, badly corroded.  The nails...well, my best guess is that they came from campfires in which people burned pallet wood.  The remaining bits and bobs are just that.  The dull silvery one in the upper left is intriguing.  It gave me a good tone, like silver, but I can't tell what it is.  It is not soft and malleable like lead so who knows.

The car is a genuine Hot Wheels, made in 2015 so it hadn't been there that long.  It is a '77 Pontiac Firebird, for those of you like me who are not really "car guys".  I typically hunt with the "trash meter" off for this very reason.  Yes, you get a ton of rust but on the beach I feel like that's a good thing - better me finding a rusty nail than some kid's foot!  You also get oddball things like this car.

Next post I'll be back on track with some steamy pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment