Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2020

Japan + Wales =

...successful duplication of a detail part!  Oyumaru + Milliput = part

Since deciding to rebuild the trio of Purina cars, I've been on the lookout for Laconia end sills for what seems like ages.  I had given up ever finding them on their own, or if I did, for a decent price.  Seems like 'nostalgia pricing' for vintage parts is over-the-top high.  My next resort would be to either scratchbuild a pair or find a donor kit to sacrifice.  It would probably be cheaper and faster to buy another Purina kit of the correct number.

But then along came PLASMO, and his video of using Blue Stuff (a Green Stuff World branded oyumaru) to cast parts using epoxy putty.  After hemming and hawing a while I decided to pull the trigger and buy some.  Last night I warmed up the kettle and softened the oyumaru.  I glued the part to a scrap of plastic packaging and pressed on the softened thermoplastic...voila!  A mold! 


Next I cut away a couple bits of Milliput and kneaded them together.  Once I thought I had sufficiently mixed the two components I pressed some into the mold.  And then I waited.  Overnight.  I could see through the clear mold material that I had gotten a good press; it appeared that the Milliput was deep into the recesses of the mold.  But how good?


This morning I got my answer - as Tom Johnson* says - I think it looks pretty good.

*In these uncertain times, I find it very comforting to watch a skilled craftsman rebuild, repair and restore a beautiful piece of furniture to its best condition or former glory.  I hope to do the same with the vintage freight cars I have collected, including the Purina cars mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment