Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

When Scratch Isn't Up To

Case in point, these windows.  I tried to make my own window frames but I wasn't happy with the results.  I was happy with the overall shape and size of the cupola itself.  Enter Tichy Train Group's Work Car Windows Assortment, part number 8206.  I have dry-fit one window to test the fit and sure enough, I couldn't have fit it better if I had planned it that way.  There are smaller windows in the set and they should likewise work just fine for the narrow side windows.  Here's the kicker - they come with glazing!



Will I attempt to scratchbuild window frames again in the future?  Sure, if necessary, or maybe even just for fun.  But will I let it stall a project as long as this attempt did?  No sir.  If Tichy had not made these excellent window frame inserts, I would have likely found suitable kitbash parts from some donor cabeese.  The caboose is a signature piece of rolling stock for any steam era railroad and as a freelancer, I believe it is even more important that I'm happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment