Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Bits-Building?

Recently JD Lowe over at 30 Squares called attention to the helpful distinction between scratch-building and scrap-building.  This little annex to the Union Ice Co. is what I'd call bits-building.  The bits in question aren't scrap material like tissue box cardboard or soda can aluminum.  Rather, they're the remnants of carrier sheets from the die-cut walls of the Alexander Coaling Tower I built a few years back.  Technically you might call this scratch-building, but I don't feel it is simply because I'm not starting with virgin material.  I'm using bits from my bits box.

The bits are sorted, by the way, (clockwise from upper left) into round styrene, flat & skinny styrene, small flat wood pieces, longer flat and skinny wood and styrene, small skinny wood & styrene, longer than small skinny wood and styrene, metal and wire, and extra dividers.  When the bits box is full, I know it is way past time to utilize these parts somehow. That day had come.  This closeup from the photo of the Ice Factory in Santa Rosa inspired me.

See if you can spot the really big vent hiding behind the Private Property sign on the sunny face of the extension.  I decided the Union Ice building could use an annex along the wall closest to where an operator or viewer might stand.  I chose to make it from wood in order to provide a contrasting texture.  It will be painted blue to match the structure.  As an annex it makes sense to house some sort of additional ventilation for cooling pipes or other mechanical equipment, say, compressors.  Who can say for sure, but it looks plausible and adds interest.



No comments:

Post a Comment