Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2021

A Pane-ful Job Made Easier

Yes, you read that correctly.  Pane-ful instead of painful.  Regular readers of this blog may know my disdain for installing window glass.  I have reached the point in the Trail Drive challenge where I'm installing window glass in the cabeeses.  There are sixteen windows on each caboose.  Fortunately the Tichy windows I used in the cupolas come with pre-cut clear styrene that drops perfectly into the window.  But that's only six windows per car.  The remaining ten in the body will need to be cut from clear styrene sheet.  Thankfully the cuts on these don't need to be precise and they're all the same size.  

However the real challenge isn't the fit of things; rather, getting the little buggers into place without smudging glue all over and having to curse and try again.  Enter blue-tack.

A tiny blob on the end of a dental tool allows me to pick up a pane and set it precisely into place deep inside the caboose body, just where I want it.  Once the glue has grabbed I can gently roll the tool to release it from the pane.  No swearing, weeping, gnashing of teeth or rending garments.  Why didn't I think of this before now?


3 comments:

  1. 'Clearly' I need to buy some blue tack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Galen, this is off topic, but I don't know of any other way to communicate with you. I found out when I opened my email this morning that Jim Furhmann, long time member of the Orange County Module Railroaders passed away. He was having heart problems (had a stint put in a few years ago) and was on the operatig table when he passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad news, indeed, Russ. I remember Jim fondly. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete