Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2021

Icy Inspiration

The next project will be a structure: the Union Ice Company by Suydam.  After all, I've just completed two freezers so why not give 'em a place to go get their bunkers filled.  Of course I can't build it just exactly the way the instructions suggest.  Not that there's anything wrong with the kit, apart from the requisite improvements to the structure due to its vintage materials.  But one of my guiding principles for this railroad was to create each scene in such a way to clearly locate it in central Florida in the 1920s.  For that I can turn to inspiration from old photos.  Here's one that has direct bearing on the kit:

 This is somewhere in Florida in 1927...but I can't find the original image at the Florida Memory project so my apologies for leaving it unattributed.

There are five elements (at least) that I want to replicate from this image and use in the Suydam kit.  

  1. The Lighting.  The long gooseneck (for lack of a better term) lamps above the wall and the two sconces on either side of the entrance will be replicated courtesy the LED products available from WEHONEST on eBay.  Seriously.  That's the name.  They're on their way across the Pacific as I write.
  2. The Letters on the wall.  On their way from Georgia right now from Trainz.  Thanks to JD Lowe at 30 Squares for the reminder that these little letters exist.  
  3. The Decorative Designs on the pilasters...not sure how I'm going to make these.
  4. The Tilting Windows.  I think I can make these work using tall roundhouse windows I have in my parts bin.
  5. The Plants.  Who doesn't love nice landscaping?
  6. The Colors.  I'd say there are at least four represented on the structure - the lamp shades, letters and windows are all a dark color, maybe black.  The recessed wall surface is one shade darker than the pilasters, which is slightly darker than the diamond designs.  I plan to use two shades of blue plus white for the walls.  This is inspired by the color scheme seen here:
    Trust me, the Ice Truck in the photo above is actually a beautiful two-tone blue.  The scene is "the world's first traffic jam" from the World of Motion attraction at EPCOT Center.

Here is the obligatory open box shot of the kit:
I sorted the small parts into bags back when I purchased the kit.  Though I am waiting on the lighting to arrive before I begin work on the main structure, I can begin work on the cooling tower and the actual icing platform until then.  Happily, the instructions are already divided accordingly.


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim, I am too! But first...a little more straightening to do on the workbench, and a post on the finished Trail Drive 2020.

      Delete