Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Word to the Wise...

Bonus points if you can finish the phrase in the title of this post.  My old band director used to say it all the time before he scolded someone, usually the drummers.  Observe below the image showing little bits of stripwood, neatly arranged and assembled on a template:

Looks nice, right?  Sure.  But here's the word to the wise - plan your cuts first to ensure you'll have enough material to make all the bits the kit calls for.  I gathered all the 2x8 strips, decided which ones were for what parts, then set up the chopper to begin cutting all the angled braces, starting with the small ones.  Those of you who have either made the same mistake or avoided this mistake will by now know exactly what happened next.

While it is possible this kit didn't come with all its material, it is more likely the kit designer wanted you to make the long cuts first, then use the cutoffs to make the smaller bits.  There is ample evidence in the instructions for clear forethought in how the builder is to use the pieces supplied, though no indication of any sequence for cutting.  Still, it is good advice I've read elsewhere...perhaps in a Campbell kit?  I've even followed this advice before - not sure why I didn't here.

Thankfully I had a pack of 2x8 lumber with plenty material to cut all the longer braces (not shown in the photo above).  They have since been stained, and I've reached the point of assembling the long icing platform where they will be used.  In-laws came for a visit recently since we've all been vaccinated, but even then I managed to move ahead on this kit.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it despite the mistakes, and I hope you are as well.  Thanks for following along!


No comments:

Post a Comment