Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2021

Bracing and Staining

I've reached a point in the construction process where I can no longer proceed with the main structure assembly until I address the wood structures like the front loading dock and main icing platform.  I must also paint the interior bits so I can install them when the time comes.  I have used additional bracing beyond what came with the kit in order to reduce the wall warping.  Before I apply the stucco I will seal the entire structure inside and out with a spray varnish, also to minimize warping caused by applying a water-based finish to cardstock.

The wood bits I've stained with a 50/50 wash of Mudstone and water.  I will likely paint the front loading dock as it is on the public-facing side of the structure, but the icing platform will be sun-bleached and weathered wood.  Though this is a newer building in my railroad's timeframe, the Florida sun and sub-tropical rain showers will gray exposed wood relatively quickly.

Not shooting for it, but I may just get this thing built by Easter.  We'll see how long the platforms take.  I have also received the styrene channel and angle for the cooling tower bracing.  I will be cutting, priming and painting that bracing before installing it.  Thanks for following along.


No comments:

Post a Comment