Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Framed!

Notice anything different?


Look closer...

Closer...

And here's another corner:

The railroad has been framed!  Finally.  The 12 foot long trim strips have been laying on my garage floor for FAR too long.  The color is my favorite, Mudstone.  I had the Home Depot color match a quart from a sample I brought in.  These images make it look washed out but it is really much darker in person. 

The concept I am developing is that of a picture laid on its back with the three-dimensional interactive painting rising out of the frame.  I debated on whether or not to consider it a plinth on which a sculpture is created, but that doesn't suit the concept.  The frame around traditional paintings serves to isolate the world of the painting from the world of the viewer whether in a gallery, restaurant, office, or in my case, garage.

This frame is complete - there will be no throttle doo-dads or operational whatsits attached.  To my mind that's just visual clutter, no matter how useful.  (My garage is already cluttered enough!).  DCC fortunately reduces the need to rely on a massive control panel of switches and lights.  That said, there will still be a panel for the throttle power supply and controls for lights; it will be on a separate board on a shelf beneath the railroad.

More on this concept in later posts.  I am not the first to pass this way, but not many have...

2 comments:

  1. Your layout looks great! The edge framing is quite impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! I'm debating on what to do next as there are a couple directions I could go. I want to paint the track but first I really ought to put the turnout head blocks in place. Also I'd like to rough in the main roads, and cut in a couple drainage ditches. I decided to hold off painting the whole surface until the track is painted and the roads are started.

      On another front, I have just built a new tool...

      And there's the station, ongoing.

      We'll see.

      Delete