Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2022

New Digs

We're reaching the point of unpacking and settling into our new home when I can begin to set up my workbenches.  Yes, workbenches, plural.  During the lockdown I had set up a small bench in our bedroom in order to have a quiet space in a full house.  My main workbench was in our long living room, shared with our boys' gaming computer, my wife's workbench for her crafts*, our television and seating area, all adjacent to the dining room and kitchen.  Quiet, focused time with a model was rare unless I got up early or stayed up late, so having that small bench in a room where I could shut the door and put on some music to drown out the world for a while was critical to my sanity.

Garage bench slowly coming back to life.

Now in our new home I have the blessing of a detached garage.  Yes, despite the challenges of model building in a non-climate controlled space, it is a blessing.  I suspect it will become better with time as I insulate the space, but for now it presents the same challenges as the previous attached garage - too hot in the summer afternoons and likely too cold in the winter.  Also, while California is dry most of the time, it is our proximity to the sea that gives us the cool overnight temps.  However, this brings with it moist air, and our winters are wet.  So where can I find a space in the house to work?

 New bench beneath the window used to be my wife's crafting table.

In the new house there's a 'den' or 'family room' at the back of the house where I can set up a small bench - larger than my old bedroom bench, but not large enough for spreading out a big project.  I'll be sharing this space with my boys' computer again, and a TV, but this time in a smaller room.  Just like the last house, my bench will be under a window and next to a sliding glass door leading out to the back yard and in this case, the garage.  In the old place there was an area for parts, tools, etc. and train magazines along a wall next to the workbench.  So too here, but instead of old dorm-room pine shelves from Ikea, we've ordered new finished open shelves for books and a central display cabinet with glass doors -  for models, of course - also from Ikea.  We like Ikea.  

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to show off the new spaces as I expect them to look when fully operational.  First up on the den workbench will be Star Wars Legion figures in need of paint, and in the garage, the Milk & Mail train continues with the Combine car.   What's on your workbench these days? 

*My wife's craft space, by the way, is now in its own cabinet but in the living room at the front of the house.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! The motivation to transform this space is high right now, so I'm going to keep making progress and hopefully soon enjoy the fruits of that labor.

      Delete