Out of all the beautiful buildings in a city packed with fantastic architecture, why visit this structure? Because Scale Structures Limited produced an HO scale kit for this ornate pile that has always caught my eye and I wanted a closer look at the prototype inspiration. I say "inspiration" because while the SS Ltd model looks like the Hammersmith from three feet away, the details are less than perfect, by a wide margin. The general proportions are off as well, with the kit including a brick extension on one side; a concession, perhaps to the "millwork" kit they offered which provided a rudimentary interior with floors and staircases.
The major discrepancy, besides the brick extension, is the arrangement of floors. A post card from the time of the building's opening describes the layout; a first floor showroom, mezzanine, second and third floors, and a basement (with a description of what was included on each floor, though I don't need to go into those details here). The kit only gives you a very tall first floor with a second and third floor above that. The mezzanine windows of the prototype were replaced by some ornate panels in the kit. From the outside it is clear that there's a floor there - though no longer open to the first floor below as a mezzanine would have been, by definition. A large rosette adorns the ceiling of the "mezzanine" level and I suspect it would have been visible from the showroom.
![]() |
| Enlarge the image for a closer look at the Mezzanine ceiling rosette. |
I don't intend this post to seem like such a harsh kit critique of an old kit. To be fair, I can imagine that SS Ltd might not have have the most accurate source material to work with back in 1982. And, at that time, prototype fidelity mattered less than the general impression, an idea I still endorse. None of this matters if you simply want a lovely Art Nouveau structure for a corner location. The castings, while not accurate to the prototype, are still in keeping with the style. However, it's worth saying that if a person wants an accurate replica of this "jewel box", they may have to do some significant kit modifications or start from scratch with design software and a 3d printer.
Anyway, back to Zoox. The company was offering free rides to promote their service in the city. My wife and I had never been in a self driving car - in fact, it was my first ride in a fully electric car of any sort. The experience was surreal; familiar yet novel. It was only a short tour around a couple blocks to demonstrate the car's capabilities, but it was comfortable and we felt safe. The car navigated the traffic, including pedestrians, without any difficulties. We came to see the historic building and ended up riding in a futuristic car. Go figure.
| Your blogger, buckled up for safety. Note the MUNI "sunset" scheme hoodie. More on that in a future post... |

No comments:
Post a Comment