Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2021

Four Flats - Distressing Decks

The first image is a comparison shot I made to share on my Instagram account.  On the left is the wooden deck that comes with the kit.  Note the wood grain running perpendicular to the grooves.  Note the places where the grooves between the "boards" didn't quite go far enough.  Even if I were to cut in the grooves, then stain this and weather it, the single-piece construction would be blatantly obvious thanks to the out-of-scale wood grain.

The brownish piece on the right is card that I've scribed to match the board size of the kit-supplied deck.  Already at this stage it is an improvement.  The "grain" of the card stock runs parallel to the direction of the boards.  I could simply stain this piece with various browns and grays and it would look great.  However, I prefer to prime cardstock first, especially in this case, to avoid as much warping as possible.  This isn't Strathmore.  It's more like shirt cardboard.  I'm not even sure where I found it.

In this next image is the pathfinder car with its deck primed, and the other three card decks in various stages of distress.  Note the dental tools and Xacto knife I use to add nail marks, cracks, etc. to the boards.  I particularly like the tool with the conical heads, as it is useful for pressing down on a board to make it lower than its neighbor, as well as making drag and scuff marks to imply something heavy has been shifted that dented and gouged the deck.

This last shot is a close-up of the pathfinder model's deck, ready for some color and weathering.  My plan is to paint and weather the deck, then the sides, all brushed on by hand.  I just need to remember what shade of brown I used on the Ocali Creek box car I did a few years back as I want to match it. Honestly, I know I took a picture of the car with the two colors I blended and for the life of me I can't find it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment