Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2021

He Painted EVERYTHING!

Just watch.  You'll see.  No, really, watch this first.  If you're in a hurry, skip to 8:30.

I'm not a military modeler.  I messed around with airplane and sci-fi kits very briefly as a kid, but that's about as close as I came.  Still, I appreciate good model making and finishing.  I found this channel via suggestions to watch his diorama construction videos.  Wow.  "A tiny bit better" he says?  No, the results are stunning. 

But more than the results, it is the process I find most interesting.  Many fantasy model makers, tabletop wargamers, and military modelers do one thing VERY differently than model railroaders when building a diorama.  They may use the same scenic materials, adhesives and paints, but it is in how they apply them where the difference is most apparent, or rather, the sequence of application, with an extra step.

Model railroaders or folks who make model railroad dioramas will generally select materials based on color - a certain color dirt, another color palate of grasses, etc.  We may tint with washes or powders, but essentially we're relying on the color of the material to be at least a base for the finished color.  Texture is important as well, but we tend to look to the color of the material since we're spoiled for choice.  There is such a variety of colorful scenic materials out there (but try to find gray grass...).

Other model makers, like Martin from Night Shift in the video above, focus more on the texture of the material first, and the color second.  Get the texture right, and then you can paint it any color you like.  In the video above, he applies ground cover from dirt to grass to special photo etched plants.  Then he paints it.  All of it.  He paints it dark brown.  All of it.  Dirt, grass, plants, all of it.  Brown.  

I've never seen that.  I've never seen anyone fully scenic a diorama base then paint the whole thing brown.  I've never seen that.

As alluded to above, I have seen other diorama makers paint the whole thing black then work up the color with washes, drybrushing, etc.  But that doesn't usually include the grasses or other elements added later.  Buildings, sure, and of course rocks and even the dirt.  But all of it?  And then to bring back the color so precisely!  

This does enable him to do some precision work, matching the color and texture of the mud in the ground to the color and texture of the mud on the tank treads.  It unifies the scene naturally by utilizing  the same color palate throughout.  But is it really necessary?  Is it worth the extra effort?  And what would our miniature railroad worlds look like if we applied a similar process to them?  Is that even possible?

I'm still processing this.  Scope me, I'm outta here.


 

2 comments:

  1. I watched this with interest and was as surprised as you with the decision to paint everything and then repaint. To be honest I am still not sure what to think about this approach but his results are amazing. As a caveat, I think the amount of scenery in even a mid sized model railroad would make this approach problematic because of the time and effort involved. That said, with the proper skill set and patience the final effort would be quite something. Happy holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerald. I agree with your assessment that doing even a fraction of a mid-sized model railroad this way would be too time-consuming. Another caveat - he's modeling in 1:35 scale in this diorama, I think, so that changes the equation somewhat. For O scalers or larger this could be really effective but I wonder how it will translate to HO or N?

      I've had an idea in the back of my head for some time, and blogged about it a while back, of doing little cameo components; little miniature sections of scenery and track that can be used as set pieces for photographing trains. Still haven't progressed beyond the planning stage, but this may be the perfect place to try some new techniques such as this paint-it-all black approach.

      Have a great holiday season!

      Galen

      Delete