Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2022

Passenger Fleet Color Choices

After badmouthing the garish red paint* on the combine in my previous post, I figured I'd better present my preferences, or at least the process for determining my choice.  I'm following a suggested scheme by Selley for their passenger cars.  I'll admit that when I first read it I dismissed it, but after searching and seeing what others had done I came back to it and embraced it.  It's basically this: roof - black or brown, sides and ends - Tuscan red, trucks and platform details - olive green, underbody and select details - black.  So, I pulled my colors I thought might work and began making color swatches on a sheet painted with the same primer I'm using on the cars.

Below, the choices I'm leaning towards.  Or, mellow traffic signals.  You decide.


*I should admit that many great passenger trains have been a bright red or similarly bold rosy hue.  John Allen's streamlined passenger train was painted Mandarin Red, as was his little combine that worked the branch line out of Gorre up to Daphetid.  Perhaps that was the inspiration for the little combine I found. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking maybe the one of the left as it has a deeper green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the combo on the left better, though the darker brown keeps speaking to me. I ventured out to the craft store to get paint. Though I already had a selection of reds, I was lacking in browns and my greens were all too bright or more suited for foliage. I'm happy to say that the two greens in the second photo are the ones I picked up at the store, as are the two browns. While I was the only person in the craft store except for the staff, I would hate to have risked contamination just for paint, or to come back and find I didn't need the ones I bought!

      Delete