Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2022

Tombstones Update

Here's an update on the two tombstones my son and I built for our Golden Cedars Garden of Rest Pet Cemetery.  Since the last post we applied a layer of paper mache' clay to the sides, backs and bases of the stones and in the case of the smaller stone, to the front, shaping it to match the existing border across the top.  Once that had ample time to dry, both received a coat of black paint followed by a drybrushing of white.  That's it - the drybrushing produces a very realistic stone appearance relying on the texture of the surface to create tonal variation. 

The black is an indoor latex while the white is Kilz primer.  Indoor vs. outdoor paint matters less since it will receive a coat of urethane spar varnish to protect it from the elements.  However, I won't apply that until later this summer when I can do that work outdoors.  That varnish gives me a headache so a respirator and good ventilation is absolutely necessary.  The varnish gives the stones a slight yellowed tint, but for these two I may also apply a color filter to imply a different type of stone, for variety.





No comments:

Post a Comment