Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Set Back or Step Forward?

 

 
The new garage before the rest of the stuff arrived.

To answer the question in the title, YES to both.  First, the setback.  Despite all the difficulties of the previous garage home, I had grown accustomed to it.  I had made improvements to the space, mainly in keeping rodents out.  I could find a tool or supply in thirty seconds or less and had room to work.  There was a plan for building and operating the railroad, as well as other projects such as helping my son build a pan-tilt-zoom head for live-streaming or creating a diorama for the 2022 Walthers National Model Railroad Build Off.

Now, in a new space, I have to start all over.  New critters to keep out.  New holes to plug.  Dust and debris (just look at the pile of clay roof tiles along the wall!)  And, this space is detached.  If I want to get to the railroad I have to traverse the summer heat or winter rain.  At least it doesn't snow here.  In addition, I've got a long honey-do list and home renovation projects that must be done sooner than later.  That pushes any hobby space improvements far down the list.

...on the other hand...

This space is mine.  No need to get permission from the landlord to make any necessary changes.  Oh I had a long list of things I'd have done in our rental IF the place was ours.  Well, now this place is ours, and I can do what I want to make it wonderful.  I waited too long to improve previous places we've lived, and each time we moved I was a bit saddened that I should have or could have done this or that if only...  So this time I'm not wasting any precious moments.  Call it a mid-life crisis or whatever you will; I'm motivated to make it happen as soon as possible.

And while the layout will languish until everything is unpacked, modeling will not cease.  I've got an army to paint - Rebels and Storm Troopers and Speeder Bikes!  After tasting how fun it was to play a game of Star Wars Legion last Thanksgiving, I resolved then to get this game going in the near future.  That time is now.  I can set up a painting desk in the new house and enjoy a few moments each evening putting paint on plastic so that we can play an exciting tabletop game in our dining room.  

Finally, does this mean the blog is back?  Well, yes, but there's no guarantee it'll be anything remotely regular.  As I mentioned in the previous post from two months ago, I believe blogging is for fleshing-out ideas beyond what a picture can convey.  I will continue to use Instagram and link that app to Facebook to keep my family and friends updated, but if anyone wants to learn more this will still be the place to do that.  Thanks for reading.

"The only difference is that today, with what we know and what we're learning to do, we really can bring our dreams to life. It takes a lot of work, but the truth is, if we can dream it, we can do it." - dialogue from Horizons at EPCOT Center

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the new projects that'll being coming out of your new workspace!

    ReplyDelete